Mourners and well-wishers across KwaZulu-Natal are invited to attend the memorial service for Nelson Mandela which will be held at Moses Mabhida Stadium on Friday, 13 December.
The stadium gates will be open to the public at 6am, with the ceremony taking place from 9am to 4pm. The People’s Park is also open to the public and the day’s proceedings will be shown on the big screens in the park. A sombre crowd of around 80,000 is expected to fill up the stadium and People’s Park to pay their respects to one of the greatest icons of our time.
For those unable to attend the memorial throughout the course of the day, there will also be Night Vigils held on the evenings of Saturday, 14 and Sunday, 15 December in People’s Park. All well-wishers are invited to take part.
Please note: There will be no parking available to the public inside the stadium on the day. The following roads will be temporarily closed and or restricted to traffic for the stadium event from 5am on Friday, 13 December:
- Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Ave between Somtseu Road to Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road
- Isaiah Ntshangase (Walter Gilbert) Road from Twin Clothing to entrance to Natal Mounted Rifles/Durban Country Club (allowing access to Twin Clothing off Umgeni Road and NMR/DCC off M4 only)
- Sandile Thusi (Argyle) Road onramp to Masabalala Yengwa northbound.
- Jaco Jackson will be closed at Masabalala Yengwa (access to the rugby stadium and Berea Rovers will be via Smiso Nkwanyana Road)
- Battery Beach Road will be closed at the entrance to the swimming pool and mustering field (take note that access control will take place at the traffic circle allowing access only to the pools and for general parking on the mustering fields)
- A temporary closure will be implemented on Sandile Thusi between Stalwart Simelane (Stanger) Street and Sylvester Ntuli (Brickhill) Road during mass movement of pedestrians upon arrival and departure.
The above roads are expected to re-open by 7pm on 13 December 2013.
Date: Friday, 13 December
Venue: Stadium Bowl and People’s Park
Gates open: 6am
Memorial Service: 9am – 4pm
Saturday Night Vigil: 14 December 6pm
Sunday Funeral Screening: 15 December
The Municipality would like to advise that this event can only accommodate a limited number of people and should the venue become fully occupied, event organisers will be obligated not to allow further admittance for safety and security reasons.
11 December 2013 | Events